Sunday, October 12, 2014

Grandma's Wish


I'm Ganesh. In my 18 years of life this is the first time I am visiting my native village. I visited this place on request of my grandma since she is very ill these days. My parents decided not to come due to their long fight with grandma and grandpa.

When I met grandma first, I was really moved by her innocence and kindness. She was really happy to see me. All the relatives have been gathered there cz this might be her last days. On the 2nd day doctor visited and said she might not recover well unless we always keep her happy.

Next day I accidentally found an old diary of Grandma. There She had written many things about my parents fights with her and how she missed them for 15 years without even seeing them. She always dreamed about having a grand daughter... This was really touchy. So I decided to let her live the dream at least for few days. I told about this to one of the Aunts who was also visiting there. She promised me to help.

She took me to the village tailor and gave my measurements for stitching blouse and skirt. The tailor women gave weird looks. Then Aunt explained everything. After that the tailor was really helpful and promised me to give the best Pavadai thavani(lehenga voni) that she ever stitched.

On the next morning Aunt gave me the skirt and blouse to wear and see. It was a maroon skirt with orange border. Though I boldly decided to wear them earlier no I started to feel shy and nervous. I took the skirt with hesitation to wear.

Aunt: What do you think you are doing!!!

Me : Just thinking how to wear these!!!

Aunt: Yes silly you are not going to wear them like this.. First you going to need this!!

Then aunt threw a new pair of pink lace panty and bra to me.

Aunt: Now quick Ganeshwari we dont have all day, Get ready and meet me downstairs.

I carefully started to wear them one by one. Then I started to feel excited about it. First I wore the skirt then the blouse. Next I stuffed the bra with extra cloths to get the real breast look. Then finally wrapped the thavani around me. I just started to feel so girly. Then I adjusted the newly bought wig and stated wearing the accessories. The dangling sound of bangles made me more excited and thrilled. Finally I went down to meet aunty.

She quickly hugged me and said I look  very beautiful and  all the boys in the village will be dying to get to know me. This made me blush alot. Then aunt said few things are still missing  and stated working out on my make up.


Then she took me out despite my struggle and asked the flower seller to attach jasmine garlands on my hair. To avoid any suspicious I too had to act girly sat crossing my legs.

Later On the evening I met grandma. She was really happy to see me like that. Some relatives were supportive while others started to see me as a joke. Nevertheless I ignored them. Especially all of my 5 girl cousins were really supportive and started treating me like one of them. After that day grandma even lived a year longer than what every doctor had predicted. That is an unforgettable day in my life.



Ever since that every year I visit there on my vacations.Now I am 22 yrs old. During the entire vacation I stay with my two younger and one elder cousin sisters. Though they wear all sorts of cloths such as shalwar, jeans, skirt and blouse, they always insist me to stay on half saree, which I love the most. We hang around the village alot and have many girly times together. Their mom(Aunt) is also very supportive this. What I'm more excited about is that next month my elder cousin Ramya is getting married and she had me promised to her that I will be her bride's maid.


3 comments: